Diehard fans will be making iced coffee all year round, but even espresso and unadulterated black filter coffee drinkers may even be swayed when the mercury hits 30oc.
In our shops, we've always offered espresso and milk shaken over ice for latte drinkers to revert to on a hot day and even developed a sweet and thick take on the classic shakerato (espresso shaken over ice and finished with orange blossom honey).
An incredibly refreshing option that we've also been refining over the years is iced filter, brewed Japanese-style. Brewed double strength with hot water over ice, rather than being brewed with cold water, it makes for a complex, sweet and fruity cold coffee option with the ability to uplift and revitalise on a hot summers' day.
With a couple of small changes to your regular brewing technique, you'll be able to replicate the iced filter brewing technique we employ in our cafes on your kitchen counter.
32g fresh, whole bean coffee
Soft, clean water
200g of ice, plus more to serve
02 Cup V60 and paper filter
Scales and timer
- Pop your water on to boil and grind your coffee, aiming for a caster sugar-like consistency. Aim for a slightly finer grind than you would normally use for brewing half a litre of hot coffee.
- Rinse the V60 paper with a little hot water over the sink to avoid warming your decanter.
- Place 200g of ice into your decanter.
- Add your ground coffee to the V60, place atop the decanter full of ice on your brewing scales and tare off the scales.
- Blooming the grounds with around 75g hot water.
- Stir the coffee bed to ensure all the grounds are evenly saturated.
- After 45 seconds start pouring water slowly over the grounds, topping up to 300g by around the 3-minute mark.
- Once the bed has fully drained, remove the V60 and stir the brewed coffee and ice together until fully mixed.
- Serve over lots of ice to keep chilled down without overly diluting the drink.
- Enjoy! Try it black, with a dash of milk, or a splash of tonic water and a few dots of bitters if you have them available.
Our Brew Bundle: For Two offers all of the equipment you need to enjoy drip filter coffee at home, whether iced or hot. Find out more about what the bundle contains here.